Welcome Service Tirol

The Welcome Service Tirol is the first point of contact for Tyrolean companies and universities and their international, highly qualified employees.

© Standortagentur Tirol

Working in Tyrol

If a highly qualified person wants to come to Tyrol to work for a Tyrolean employer, it is important to follow the correct formal-legal path. The same applies, of course, to accompanying family members.

For immigration of nationals of EU states, EEA states or Switzerland, see our website „Entry EU/EEA/Switzerland“.

If a person from a third country wants to live and work in Austria, he/she usually needs the right permit(s). Often the "Red-White-Red-Card" is the right choice. This card entitles third-country nationals both to stay in Austria and to work for a specific employer (a visa may also be required for entry). 

In particular, the following Red-White-Red Cards are available for third-country nationals who have a job offer from a company in Austria:

  • Red-White-Red Card for Very Highly Qualified Workers
  • Red-White-Red Card for Skilled Workers in Shortage Occupations
  • Red-White-Red Card for Other Key Workers
  • Red-White-Red Card for Graduates
  • Red-White-Red Card for Regular Seasonal Workers

The Red-White-Red Card is valid for up to two years. However, if the requirements are met, it is possible to obtain further residence permits up to an unlimited stay (please feel free to contact us for more information). Apart from the "Red-White-Red Card", there are other permits that may be suitable for the long term stay of third-country nationals. Examples of these are the „Red-White-Red Card Plus“, the „EU Blue Card“, the residence permit "Family Member" or "Long-Term Resident EU" permit. For temporary stays for specific purposes, for example, stay permits („Aufenthaltsbewilligungen“) are available.

Professionals and other persons from third countries who are family members of EU, EEA oder Swiss citizens do not need a formal residence title if the relevant requirements are met. However, this must always be checked individually in advance, and if this is the case, special regulations must be observed.

Whether an application is promising and which application form is to be chosen must always be assessed in the specific individual case. For family members, too, it is always necessary to clarify which legal steps are required for them.

Further information on this topic can also be found, for example, at Work in Austria/Austrian Business Agency (ABA).

​We recommend to seek individual advice due to the complexity!

Please feel free to contact us - together with our network, we will be happy to assist you free of charge!