Welcome Service Tirol

The Welcome Service Tirol is the first point of contact for Tyrolean companies and universities and their international, highly qualified employees.

© Pexels, Foto: Juhasz Imre

Immigration of third country nationals

Various legal options have been created for third-country nationals who wish to move to Austria to live and work here.

If a third-country national plans to live in Austria for less than six months, he or she usually needs a visa (different visa categories are available). However, if the planned stay exceeds the period of six months, usually a residence title („Aufenthaltstitel“) is required. Depending on the legal basis of residence, a separate formal authorization may be necessary to take up employment.

The choice of the appropriate residence title depends on whether one wants to live and/or work in Austria on a temporary or long-term basis. Furthermore, it depends on the person for whom the residence title is to be applied for. For example, a skilled worker who is going to work in a company in Tyrol may be subject to a different residence title than his family members who are moving with him.

For further information, please visit our website Working in Tyrol.